The Nigerian Police have issued a stern warning against the Independent People of Biafra not to dare it or be ready to face serious consequences should the group go ahead with the planned sit-at-home-protest.
The Police issued the warning through its Anambra State Command in reaction to IPOB’s threat to paralyze economic activities with a sit-at-home protest in the entire South East States on May 30.
The group had said in a statement that the day had been earmarked to honour all Biafrans killed during the 1967-1970 pogrom and others allegedly killed by security agencies in different part of the geo-political zone.
But the police in a statement by the Public Relations Officer of the Anambra State Command, Mr. Haruna Mohammed, warned IPOB not to dare it by going ahead with the planned protests as the group remains proscribed in the country.
In a statement he issued to the media in Awka, Mr. Haruna said:
“The Anambra State Command has gathered information that the outlawed group, Independent People of Biafra is perfecting plans through public announcement and threat in Nnewi and other parts of the state in order to enforce a sit-at-home, warning people not to come out for any business activities on the 30th of May 2019.
For the avoidance of doubt, the IPOB is still a proscribed organization hence all its activities remains illegal.
The Commissioner of Police, Anambra State, Dandaura Mustapha enjoined all Anambra people to disregard the calls by any group urging them to sit at home on the 30th of May, 2019 and go about their lawful businesses”.
The Federal Government had in 2018, proscribed IPOB for engaging in violence and crime against the Nigerian State.