The Nigerian Army have announced that over 100 women and children were freed from the grip of Boko Haram terrorists (BHTs) and Islamic State of West Africa (ISWAP) fighters in recent operations across the North-East.
This was announced in a statement released today Tuesday and signed by Colonel Sagir Musa, Acting Director, Army Public Relations.
In the statement, the Army said that following robust and aggressive clearance operations, troops had recorded tremendous success in recent days and “large cache of assorted arms, ammunition and so many variants of gun trucks and other fighting vehicles were captured.”
Col. Sagir Musa said the most important asset of the operation was the rescue of over 100 women and children from the hold of the criminal elements and terrorists.
The statement reads in part:
“In order to consolidate on the numerous successes so far achieved, the rugged troops of 112 Task Force Battalion deployed at Mafa in Borno State had effectively had effectively dealt ruthlessly with members of BHTs/ISWAP terrorists in Mafa, Mafa Local Government Area of Borno State, when some terrorists attempted to attack Mafa on 24 June 2019.
“The terrorists failed attack on Mafa was as a result of available intelligence indicating the desperate longing for food and other logistics by terrorists necessitated by the recent, incredibly tireless and ferocious troops’ operational exploits.
“During the failed attack, terrorists in 5 gun trucks and several motor cycles were seen. Consequently, the troops reacted swiftly with heavy fire power forcing the terrorists to scamper for their dear lives, and recovered 2 Gun Trucks mounted with Anti Aircraft Guns and a motorcycle and the extermination of three(3) terrorists. There were indications that some of the insurgents members were wounded in an exchange of fire.”
The statement commended the troops and assured them of the Chief of Army Staff, Lieutenant General Tukur Yusuf Buratai’s “continued appreciation and support in the collective struggle to crush the insurgency.”